Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tetris turns 25

Mazel Tov to Alexey Pajitnov and the entire Tetris family on the occasion of your 25th Anniversary!

Tetris has always been my favorite video game and I continue to play it the way it should be played - on my vintage late 80's green screen Game Boy. Check out this picture I just took of my old friend.



Over the last two and a half decades Tetris has seen many adaptations and iterations but has generally remained unchanged, as it should, since it symbolizes perfect simplicity. It annoys me to no end that my spell check does not recognize the word Tetris. Celebrated by tens of thousands, Tetris has spawned it's own subculture complete with virtual communities, competitions and commemorative techno art projects. Two of my favorite homages are Guillaume Reymond's Human Tetris and Tetris Building by two students at Brown University. Enjoy!





UPDATE:
Check out Googles home page today!

3 comments: